Friday, May 20, 2011

Trust God's Ways

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9 

What a perfect verse to describe the not so perfect life of mine.

We live in a world where we get what we want, when we want, and how we want. In a world where people do it all on their own by their own strength. No one dares tells anyone they are wrong because everyone is always right.  The mindset of this world, is if you ever want to go anywhere or do anything, you have to do it yourself. In a world where you plan the life ahead of you and you do everything in your own power to make sure it happens just the way you have planned. No one or anything will stop you because you are invincible. Basically, a world where no one depends on anyone but themselves and their own thoughts, plans, and ways to make it through.

Annnnnnd then came Jesus.

Right when I thought everything was going to work out the way I had planned, God decided to shake things up 'a little.' Here I thought, 'Sarah, you have to plan plan plan or else you'll fail fail fail. Organize your life, set the path ahead, make the plans, Oh, and be sure to do it all on your own. If plan A fails, be sure to have a plan B, and if plan B fails be sure to have a plan C, and if plan C fails... and so on.' Where is God in that? Here I thought I was doing the right thing by setting everything up and planning it all out and I didn't see anything wrong in that. But apparently, I wasn't seeing anything at all because the center of my plans was I and not HIM. A wake up call is what I needed and definitely what I got.

God is full of surprises and sometimes we aren't always too fond of them. We think, 'Oh but things were going so well and I had it all under control and I'm going to take this job, and I'm going  to move to this place, and I'm going to marry this person, and I'm going to have this life, and and and and I I I I....' and here God sees such a divine opportunity to move into our lives and 'mess it all up' - so we would say. But truly, God is just saving us from ourselves. Sometimes the plans and dreams that we have in our hearts aren't always God's plan for us. Is that hard to swallow? Yes. Have I had to swallow it? A thousand times. Does it taste any better the thousandth time? Not-at-all. BUT in order to move forward with our lives and the plans that God has for us, we have to LET GO of our lives and selfish desires and TRUST Him.

This isn't a one time commitment to God. This is an every day-a thousand times a day, kind of commitment. We must surrender our most precious desires and dreams to God every single day. In other words, we must die to ourselves daily in order to truly live in Him. And through living in Him we will obtain the promises He has for us. 'For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.' Matthew 16:25

 Isaiah 55:8-9 says it all.... God's thoughts and ways are SO much bigger than ours. His plans are greater than anything we could ever even imagine. It has been hard to let go and to surrender my heart and deepest desires to God, but let me tell you, it is worth it! Have I fallen at times and been tempted to take my heart, my dreams, and my ways back from God? Sure. But the truth, love, strength, peace, and joy that I have received by surrendering and trusting in Him has outweighed any thoughts of doubt. So don't become discouraged!! When the going gets tough, PRESS ON! Surrender even more, give even more, love even more, trust even more... BE MORE FOR HIM and He will NEVER leave you disappointed.

My devotional last night summarized:: Remember that God does not do bad things. But sometimes you may fail to realize that everything that feels bad to you is not necessarily bad for you. Remind yourself that His ways are not your ways and it will help you trust Him even when your circumstances are hard to understand. As each day comes to a close, put yourself in the hands of the almighty God... and rest in the knowledge that He is good and knows whats best. ~ Joyce Meyer

Trust trust trust TRUST. I can't say it enough. Stop worrying about what the future holds and trust in Him for His ways are always best. He is holding you in the palms of His hands.

When you finally decide to let go and let God, you will truly begin to live.

Be blessed and remember...

His will, His way.

1 comment: